PDA

View Full Version : First treasure

krispykritter
10-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Well on my last dive I came across a nice anchor. It was a 10lbs river anchor. I knew I was close to shore so I went for it. I added a few puffs of air to my bc and bounced it in to shore. The best part is I took it into work and sold it for 10 bucks. My first income from scuba diving:D.

JohnnyDiver
10-19-2011, 01:52 AM
I heard there's a sunken pirate treasure full of gold coins somewhere under Lake Pleasant.

Kris.....Sounds like you found a new hobby to add to your hobby. It's amazing what you can find under these lakes. Usually it's sun glasses, boat anchors and fishing poles. Did you see the boat anchor Mbkat found when we diving last time? It was too far out to retrieve with a BC, but it's right next to that big rock. Maybe it's still there. It looked new.

mabkat
10-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Congrats Kris on making alittle cash on your findings. If you take Johnny's advice on getting that anchor, you have to split profit with us =) (just kidding). Glad your dive at Lake caynon was good.

Granny
10-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Hi, and don't forget to pay the city, sate and federal tax on this "NEW" income....oh i'm full of thoughts, like this one. How was the muscle population over at Canyon?

seaprincess
10-22-2011, 10:58 AM
I always have friends needing anchors who contribute to losing them at the lake all the time so i give mine to them unless they are really rusted or encrusted with quagga muscles then i just have my brother take them to the scrap metal place for cash.

krispykritter
10-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi, and don't forget to pay the city, sate and federal tax on this "NEW" income....oh i'm full of thoughts, like this one. How was the muscle population over at Canyon?

I did'nt see any muscle's out there, lots of clams though.

bdkorn
10-25-2011, 03:36 PM
I too found my first anchor in Lake Pleasant a couple of weeks ago. It was in 45' and used my SMB to help offset the weight. I was totally excited in finding it. I want to put it back into service for my dive float. Any suggestions on how to properly clean off all the clams though?

Thanx,

Brian

seaprincess
10-25-2011, 10:30 PM
I am thinking the "clams" you guys are talking about are quagga muscles which are all over in the lake. I would leave the anchor out in the sun to dry out then you can knock off the quagga muscles using a glove.

RAWalker
10-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Brian you can try putting it in a bucket with white vinegar for a day or two then the muscles should wipe of with little effort.

HydroTherapy
12-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Arizona law stipulates, NEVER MOVE A MUSSEL! If you bring a treasure out of the lake, use your dive knife to knock off as many of those mussels as you can. Those are freshwater mussels and if you move them to another freshwater source, ie. the drain in your house, etc, you run the risk of polluting other water passages with them. Those mussels can live for 7 days out of water before they die, additionally they can breed over a million eggs a month per mussel. They have no known natural predators at this point. So just be sure to leave as many of them at the lake as possible and DON'T clean them off in a sink or bathtub at home.

krispykritter
12-06-2011, 06:52 PM
There where no mussels on the 5 dollar bill I found last week:D

seaprincess
12-08-2011, 10:33 PM
That is a great reminder Chad. They dry out fast in the summer and are easy to brush off into the trash...but i do try to scape them off before taking them home. Besides they stink!

cool on finding the 5 dollar bill..i have found a few ones and a wallet i returned to someone in the past. Last week we found several CDs by the christmas tree reef..we just left them there. It was like someone lost their entire cd collection off the boat into the water.

speelyei
06-23-2013, 07:04 AM
I always take my snorkel and mask if we camp near a body of water that's clear enough. I have found all kinds of bottles, cans, and trinkets. Lots of tools, too.
The strangest find was a 2' rubber "adult novelty" out at Catalina, near Avalon harbor. THAT found a new home in a friends dingy...